Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Oct, 12 2019 - Sun, Oct, 13 2019
John Marshall High School
1510 14th St NW, Rochester, MN 55901
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Rochester, MN.
White Bear Area YMCAInfo
Ellis Middle SchoolInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ racing skills for faster times in any event.
Session 1: Explosive Starts and Relay Exchanges
Session 2: Underwater Dolphin Kicking and Breaststroke Pullouts
Session 3: Flip Turns and Open Turns
Session 4: Race Details with Finishes – Putting it all together into a race workout
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician Tucker Dupree! Tucker will provide individualized instruction for participants and share his unique perspective on learning and refining his racing skills and stroke technique. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Session: Check in 10:45 AM, Clinic 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
PM Session: Check in 1:45 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-4:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
Tucker will be in the water leading 4 sessions. This camp is for swimmers ages 12 & up. This is a great camp for High School and Club swimmers. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
SESSION 1: EXPLOSIVE STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Tucker Dupree will break down these important movements that begin each race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Tucker will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
SESSION 2: UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING AND BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
After the start and every turn, swimmers will carry that momentum with them underwater. They will stay streamlined and practice the precisely timed movements of both underwater dolphin kicking and breaststroke pullouts. Elite Clinician Tucker Dupree will work with swimmers to maximize the effect of fast and efficient underwaters in all strokes.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Tucker. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
SESSION 3: FAST FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Tucker Dupree will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
SESSION 4: RACE DETAILS WITH FINISHES
The last session of this camp will finish up with one of those most important details — finishes! Swimmers will learn how to finish each stroke with a full extension and a strong touch. Then participants will put together the skills they’ve refined in previous sessions in a race workout designed by Elite Clinician Tucker Dupree!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
- RACE PRACTICE: Swimmers will put together what they’ve learned in the first three sessions by practicing these skills at top speed. They will participate in workouts specifically designed to test and strengthen these skills and simulate what it’s like to have improved technique in a racing scenario.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tucker questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tucker swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tucker, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!